It's 2 AM, and you find yourself sneaking into the kitchen, trying to be stealthy in a creaky house. The fridge light is your spotlight as you hunt for that snack. You think you've outsmarted everyone until that creaky floorboard betrays your mission. Busted! Flash forward to today, and you're still facing those nightly fridge raids. Relatable much?
Cravings often get a bad rep. We're told they're the enemy, feelings to be controlled, suppressed, and battled. But what if we told you that cravings are more like friendly messengers, trying to convey something important to you? They're not here to turn you into a snack junkie. They're here to help – understanding what your body truly needs.
Thinking about how and why? Let us give you clarity. Ever wondered why you suddenly crave sweets in the middle of the night? This might be your body's way of signaling low blood sugar levels, especially after a period of fasting. In a nutshell, it's your body's survival tactic. While you might not be facing a life-or-death situation, your body doesn't know that. So, it cues the craving alarm.
Cravings can be a bit of a chameleon, from sweet and salty to sour and savory, it changes with your hormones or mood fluctuations too. Each type can be a clue to what your body is really after. For example, a sudden urge for something salty might mean your body needs more minerals or electrolytes. When you feel like devouring a tub of ice cream, it could be your body's way of saying it needs comfort or a mood boost.
Now, you'd think - "what to do next?". Instead of fighting these cravings, what if we accept their friend request? What if we went into a talking stage with them?
Next time a craving knocks, indulge it. But do it mindfully. Pay attention to how you feel during and after. Is that chocolate bar actually filling, or do you find yourself wanting more? Did that bag of chips leave you feeling light and energized, or sluggish? With a little introspection, we're sure you'll be able to crack those cravings in no time.
So, what can you do when those cravings come calling? Consider these mindful options:
- Bliss Snack Bars: When you're craving something sweet, reach for a snack bar with wholefoods as the ONLY ingredients. With multiple options to indulge in, you’re sure to never get bored of one.
- Yogurt and Crackers: Craving something creamy and crunchy? Yogurt paired with whole-grain crackers could be your answer. Not only will they satisfy your cravings for oily, junk fast food but also keep you cravings for ice cream at bay.
- Popcorn: Sometimes, a snack can satisfy your need to munch. Popcorn, minus the loads of butter, can be a light, satisfying option.
- Trail Mix: A mix of nuts, seeds, and dried fruits can cover various cravings, from sweet to salty and crunchy.
- Makhana: If you're after something savory, try roasted makhana (fox nuts). They're light and crunchy, perfect for those netflix and chill nights?
In a world that often tells us to fight our cravings, we're here to say: Embrace them! Your cravings aren't your frenemies; they're your body's way of asking for what it needs. So, next time your taste buds send an SOS, listen. Tune into your body's frequency and you'll find a new level of understanding about your body and what truly nourishes it.
Remember, it's not about giving in to every whim; it's about responding thoughtfully. You've got this!
Next up, sign for our weekly newsletter here. We promise not to spam and keep it light.